Welcome

This is the blog of prop artisan, theatre BFA technical production student, crafting-art junkie, and a newbie cosplay costumer Moondancer Drake. I love learning new techniques whenever I can, and here is where I share what I am learning on campus and off whether it be costuming, prop related, millinery tidbits, or even puppertry. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Worbla …. Wonderflex….Styrene….Ahhhhhh

Okay, remember my question about the difference between using Worbla and Wonderflex… this vid answer this question well…







I also fond a good place that talks about molding with Wonderflex… unlike the Worbla you have to do it in pieces, but its possible. You need something to mold onto like pink insulation foam with plastic duct tape over it or electrical tape (you can also do a vanished paper mache mold as well, see below). The covered foam becomes a light support as well for the Wonderflex.  There also is a great picture tutorial about using Wonderflex w/ Friendly Plastic. He says the gesso sometime can chip, whereas if you cover Wonderflex with the FP it makes the surface nice and smooth… its more expensive then using gesso though.

Another thing the guy on the site mentions is something called Styrene… he says it doesn't work as well for curved pieces, but I am curious about it's uses as well since he mentioned Styrene is cheaper.I looked into it and a 48" x 64" sheet of 0.020" thickness High Impact styrene plastic. is only about $34, as apposed to $60+ for Wonderflex, or $80+ for Worbla.

No comments:

Post a Comment